Sunday, June 22, 2014

Pardon Me Shazam


What’s that tune? It’s got a great groove to it!

We were in the card store at Central Station and the song was seeping through the speaker in the store ceiling.

As Susan perused the “Thank-You” cards, I strained to hear more, hoping I was hearing the groove I thought I was hearing over the ambient noise.

I told my wife I’d like to know the name of the song and the artist performing it.
She reached into her purse and pulled out her phone and told me she’d “Shazam” it!
I scoffed, suggesting Shazam might be equipped to identify current pop songs, but it surely would not be able to identify what might be a more obscure electro-jazz number.

I told her I’d ask the store clerk to tell me what radio station they were listening to so I could consult a playlist on-line. I waited in line at the cash and when it was my turn, told the clerk I would like to know the name of the song that was still playing. She explained the music was from a collection of songs assembled specifically for the store chain. She was pretty sure she could find the name of the song and artist and then disappeared into the back room.

As I waited at the cash, Susan joined me with a card in one hand and the answer from Shazam in the other.

We waited. Then, we waited.

I asked Susan how she could be sure Shazam had identified the right song. She played the Shazam version for me and it was the very same song!

She wondered how I could have doubted.

Several minutes later, the very accommodating woman emerged with the song and artist names scrawled on a small piece of paper; “The Trade” by Kevin Yost and Guy Monk.

I thanked her, we bought the card and headed out into the train station crowd. I must admit I’m impressed at what Shazam can do and I’m far less impressed by the surfacing of my own somewhat Ludditic tendencies.

Yet another lesson learned.



No comments:

Post a Comment