Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Addictive Apple

We’ve been to New Yortk City several times and, on occasion, have eagerly persuaded relatives to come with us. We really enjoy going and every visit, every walk, every block, is an adventure!


I was at home getting ready to go into work for my radio news shift in Montreal when Susan called to say a plane had hit one of the World Trade Centre towers. She didn’t have access to a television at her workplace and neither of us realized it was a passenger jet that had deliberately flown into the struture. It was only when I got to work that I turned on a television and saw the images.

They were shocking, disturbing and grotesque then and today, ten years later, they remain exactly so.

I didn't go to New York City to cover the story, but I covered it from afar on my radio newscasts, reports and interviews. I don't carry too many news stories around with me, but this is one of them.

The scope of the violence and suffering are incomprehensible.

In terms of the things I notice on streets and how I evaluate people around me, their behaviors and the possible consequences of details I observe, it certainly changed me.


Like Montreal, there is no other place on earth quite like New York City; its vibrancy is intoxicating and the overpowering roar of life, addictive.

No comments:

Post a Comment