Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Take Nothing for Granted

After seeing the movie in theatres, Susan became a fan of "The Blind Side" and finally bought herself a copy of the film a couple of months ago. We got a chance to watch it on the weekend. It's a good movie. I decided to put the closing song, "Chances" by Five for Fighting, on my iPod a few days ago. I just downloaded the same song onto Susan's iPod tonight, along with some new tracks by "Train" and the "Plain White T's".

Her iPod is still connected because I'm recharging the battery. I was just surfing the net.

I typed in the name of a talented hockey player I remember watching during the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League's 1985-86 season. According to the internet, Guy Rouleau passed away in December 2008. I'm stunned. I never knew him, but I watched a lot of his team's hockey games that season. He played for the Hull Olympics and was on an unstoppable line with Luc Robitaille. I saw Rouleau do some incredible things with a puck! That season, he scored 91 goals in 61 games!

Pat Burns coached the team, which was partly owned by some guy named Wayne Gretzky. What a team! Pat Brisson, Benoit Brunet, Cam Russell, Sylvain Cote, Stephane Matteau, Stephane Richer and, of course, Luc Robitaille, are just some of the young players who went on to the NHL. Much to my surprise, Guy Rouleau was never drafted. The next time I heard his name, he was playing roller hockey for the Montreal Roadrunners.

I see he played in the ECHL, the IHL and also played in Europe for a few seasons. He was inducted into the QMJHL Hall of Fame in 2001 and his number "77" was retired by the Olympics.

Yet another reminder to take nothing for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment